The Illinois Policy Institute seeks a Budget and Tax Research Director to join its policy team. This position is based in Chicago.
The Institute is the state’s largest government watchdog. We are on the front lines of policy fights, defending taxpayers against tax increases and unbalanced budgets, and developing and proposing liberty-based and free market solutions to Illinois’ many problems. The Institute is the leading voice for reform across Illinois. We’re seeking a liberty-minded, energetic finance/accounting professional to support those efforts.
The Budget and Tax Research Director is responsible for the development of Illinois Policy’s liberty-based policy solutions that improve lives by addressing Illinois’ toughest challenges
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing and implementing the organization’s policy strategy focused on the state’s budget. Determining a work-plan in partnership with the Vice President – Policy and other members of the team.
- Producing original policy work (including papers, blogs and commentaries) that advance various policy goals within the Illinois Policy’s budget and tax campaigns.
- Testifying in front of state and local government regarding the merits of proposed policy solutions.
- Leveraging professional and grassroots networks to build support for policy solutions in conjunction with the government affairs department.
- Identifying possible policy “personal story” leads for production by the marketing department.
- Working with the external relations department to develop, pitch and report on specific project ideas for targeted fundraising.
- Ensuring that the department maintains full branding, policy and outreach harmony with the other activities of the organization.
- When asked, reporting at the Board of Directors meetings on communications progress and outlook of the state budget and related issues.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree required; a degree/advanced degree in accounting, finance, economics, public policy, public administration or related field a plus but not required.
- 5+ years experience in a state or local government, or performing similar work in a research organization or think tank, is preferred.
- Exceptionally strong analytical, research and writing skills. Advanced mastery of Excel and other modeling software preferred.
- Strong self-management skills and ability to multi-task, set priorities and follow-through.
- Ability to travel regularly, including nationally on occasion.
- Media experience a plus.
- Strong commitment to the principles of personal responsibility and free enterprise.
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials to Cinda Pensabene (E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position, the mission of the organization, and your salary requirements
- 3 professional references and contact information
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.