Illinois Policy Institute is seeking a Director of Fiscal Policy with outstanding research and communication skills to lead our work on Chicago and Illinois budgets, taxes, pensions, and other fiscal issues. You’ll drive the narrative and strategy for crafting and promoting entrepreneurial, innovative, and impactful policy solutions for turning around the unsustainable situation facing Illinois and Chicago. As a premier state-based, free-market think tank, IPI provides you an ideal platform to do this.
This position is based in Chicago.
For information about IPI, visit http://www.illinoispolicy.org.
The Director of Fiscal Policy Will:
- Lead our solutions-oriented research on Illinois state and local fiscal issues, especially on budgets, taxes, and pensions
- Source and analyze data regarding fiscal issues
- Write articles and reports for publication on Illinois Policy’s website and in the popular press
- Work with the Head of Policy and the communications team to develop and execute research and content strategies that help the organization achieve its policy and legislative goals, including media engagement
- Assist with fact checking fiscal policy content for accuracy and consistency
- Draft policy fact sheets and handouts to advance our solutions
- Work with policy and government affairs teams to develop bill ideas and supporting materials for our legislative agenda, and to advance bills through testimony or meetings with lawmakers
- Explain and advocate for IPI’s ideas in media as needed, and appear in IPI videos and podcasts to discuss and explain fiscal issues
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, accounting, political science, or similar field, with course work or experience with statistics, accounting or social science research methods.
- Ph.D., master’s degree, or CPA preferred.
- At least 7 years’ work experience in government agency or other organization dealing with state and local government budget and tax issues, or 7 years’ combined work experience and graduate studies in field relevant to budget and tax policy analysis and research
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the free-market policies and mission of the Illinois Policy Institute
- Proficiency in Microsoft office, including Word and Excel, with knowledge of Excel functions commonly used for statistical analysis
Range of $70,000 to $95,000 base salary, commensurate with experience. Performance-based annual bonus on top of base salary. Compensation package includes health (medical and dental plans with employer-paid share), 401(k), flexible spending benefits, and vacation and sick days.
The Director of Fiscal Policy will work in our Chicago office. Illinois Policy Institute has a hybrid work policy where employees can work from home up to three days each week.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your interest in this position
- Why the mission of Illinois Policy Institute resonates with you
- Your salary requirements
- Writing sample
Applications should be submitted to Cinda Pensabene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.