The Illinois Policy Institute is seeking a dynamic writer and editor to help the state’s strongest taxpayer advocate connect people to policy by using written and video work to explain policy solutions to challenges facing Illinoisans throughout the state.
The writer will be a prolific article producer for our website, helping educate and engage Illinoisans on the fiscal and regulatory policy issues that affect their lives. The writer will also be responsible for copyediting web articles and research reports to support the organization’s education-driven mission and to have a holistic view of Illinois Policy Institute’s scope of work. The writer will also play a pivotal role in the Institute’s storytelling project, and will be responsible for sourcing story leads that illustrate how public policy affects Illinoisans’ lives, conducting interviews and producing Your Story content for the website and other articles.
The Illinois Policy Institute is seeking candidates who are passionate about our organization’s mission, who thrive in a fast-paced environment and can juggle multiple campaigns at a time.
- Writing and editing – 40%
- Write and edit original Illinois Policy Institute web articles and other content, such as op-eds and donor material, and complete media interviews on original research
- Write compelling articles that influence the narrative in our owned audience and legacy media, and that support our research and mission, and that also provide the free-market perspective on current events
- Provides copy editing and fact checking support – 30%
- Ensure excellence in copyediting and fact-checking across all experts’ and authors’ work
- Protect the Institute and our experts by guaranteeing nothing gets published unless it is error free
- Recruit policy “heroes” that underscore the importance of our policy positions – 30%
- Tell the human stories that motivate Illinoisans to fight for change
- Bring together our research and our storytelling work for maximum impact
Qualifications for role
- Dedication to the Illinois Policy Institute’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- 2+ years of writing, editing and/or newsroom experience
- Ability to meet pressing deadlines
- Experience interviewing and sourcing story leads
- Attention to detail and a firm command of AP Style
- Ability to conduct original research, check facts and vet sources
- Strong commitment to the principles of personal responsibility and free enterprise
This position is full-time; Salary and overall compensation is competitive.
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials, in 1 PDF file, to Cinda Pensabene (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position, the mission of the organization, and your salary requirements
- Writing Sample
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.